One of my favorite tastes of summer is that of fresh berries. We enjoy picking strawberries, blueberries and blackberries throughout the summer. We also purchase organic berries from local farms such as Johnson Berry Farm. We freeze many of the berries to enjoy on oatmeal or in pancakes and muffins later in the year. But the best ones are the berries we eat as soon as we get home or for dessert that evening.
Last week I found a way to make these delightful summer fruits even better. I topped them with this delicious whipped topping.
Two cans of full-fat coconut milk
Zest of one lemon (grated)
1/8 tsp vanilla
- Place the cans of coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight
- Invert can, open and pour off the coconut water (this is great to save and add to smoothies)
- Place coconut cream in a medium size bowl and beat with an electric mixer for about 2 minutes
- Add the grated zest and vanilla
- Beat again for 1-3 minutes, until fluffy
- Serve on fresh berries for an easy dessert